So the amazing and talented avienadawn (Hi Aviena! I looooooove your granny square pillow from last month’s May Made it…I need more granny squares in my life!) nominated me for a Leibster Award!
Here are the rules (totally bootlegged from Aviena’s post, you should go read it).
Bloggers with less than 300 followers are nominated by other bloggers to draw attention to the awesomeness being shared and to form a community.
1. List 11 random facts about yourself
2. Nominate 11 other bloggers, and link to their blogs
3. Notify the bloggers of their nomination
4. Ask 11 questions for your nominees to answer
5. Answer the questions asked by the person who nominated you, thank them for the nomination, and link back to their blog
So, some random facts about me:
1. I have my library card number memorized. It’s left over from the days when I was poor and we had no money for our own internet, so I used the library’s A LOT and had to log in A LOT.
2. My husband and I got married at our local zoo. It was fantastic, and I have a pictures of us holding hands on the carousel and waving to penguins.
3. I can french braid like a BOSS, even though my hair has never been more than 6 inches for a good 10 years now.
4. I’ve mentioned this before, but I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis for 14 years. That means I’ve been sick longer than I was healthy, which is still sort of weird and surreal to me.
5. Along those lines, I was diagnosed with Autoimmune Hepatitis when I was 21…so I haven’t been able to drink alcohol since I turned legal. It doesn’t bother me much, and ordering Shirley Temples in a bar is great (Red Robin makes the best ones, in case you were wondering).
6. I have a not so secret ambition to be a master gardener. I started growing roses using bunny poo as fertilizer this year, and they are beautiful!
7. I live in a cohousing community. Basically it’s an intentional community where we share lots of stuff, but have our own (slightly smaller) spaces. We have a huge common house where there are community dinners, a big garden and woods, and chickens. We will be moving soon to be closer to where we both work, but it’s been a great experience (for the curious, more info on cohousing here).
8. Speaking of chickens, my husband and I are planning on doing the urban farm thing when we buy our house (hopefully in the next year or so). We want chickens and bees, and I’m trying to convince Kyle that we need a goat and some angora bunnies.
9. I fold origami as a sort of stress relieving tic. I make cranes when I’m bored or stressed, which is how we ended up with enough of them to decorate our wedding.
10. I still have the baby quilt my grandma made me when I was born. My blankie lives on our bed, and my husband has long since accepted that it will be that way until it falls apart. Which will probably be soon, and I have no idea what I’ll do when that happens.
11. I make pretty darned good fried chicken, but I hate to cook, so I hardly ever make it.
People I’ve nominated:
Stitch and Purl
Miss Muffet Quilts
Hook and Linen
Little and Lots
Lucie the Happy Quilter
Please do NOT feet like you have to respond, and I apologize if you’ve already been nominated/posted about it!
Questions for my nominees:
1. What would you do right now if you had a million bucks?
2. What is your favorite way to spend a Saturday?
3. What was your most recent trip of more than 50 miles?
4. What’s the best bargain you’ve ever found at a garage sale or thrift store?
5. What’s your favorite breakfast food?
6. Name five songs to which you know all the lyrics.
7. What’s the best present you ever gave someone?
8. What was your worst job?
9. Do you like roller coasters?
10. Do you have any pets? (This is the same as one below, but I love to hear about other people’s pets :P)
11. What is the best advice you ever received?
Questions from the person who nominated me:
1. What’s your favorite movie? I depends on my mood, but my go to feel better movie is The Sound of Music. I know, it’s totally corny, but it’s also really comforting, and I like to sing along (terribly :P).
2. What’s your go-to comfort food? My mom’s chicken pie. Followed by this chicken and stuffing thing that my husband makes.
3. Who’s your favorite musician? Right now I am completely obsessed with April Smith. Her voice is amazing and her tunes are seriously catchy.
4. What’s one of your life’s biggest accomplishments? Having a pattern on Ravelry that people are actually downloading! It may seem like a really small thing, but it’s taken a really long time to get to a space where I felt confident putting my stuff out there, and I’m really overwhelmed by the response.
5. Where’s your favorite spot to be outdoors? Near the ocean, anywhere here in Seattle. The smell of saltwater is one of my favorite things ever.
6. Who is someone you would like to pay honor to through gratitude? There are several someones; my mom and my brothers, my tight circle of friends, and my husband. They are all amazing and supportive and so, so encouraging.
7. What are you feeling grateful for today? Today I’m grateful that I have awesome doctors. I’ve been sick for the last 6 months or so and we still haven’t figured out what’s going on, but they never give up on me and always make me feel like I’m not alone. I have absolute faith that they will figure it out and that’s a really nice feeling.
8. What/who inspires you? These days, everything! Once I started putting ideas to paper, so to speak, I started getting so many more. The color of a flower or the pattern of a fern, or even a smell or a sound, will inspire me.
9. Do you have any pets? We have a lot of pets…a friend of ours calls our house “Pet Ranch”. We have a dog named Zoey, a kitty named Stella, and two bunnies named Penelope and Annabelle. We also have some fish, named Sherbet, Gelato, and The Machine (The Machine are a group of tetras that we can’t tell apart, and we had a fish named Florence who is no longer with us, so…they were Florence and The Machine. Because my husband and I are really big dorks). We also have a snail named Finn. He cleans the tank.
10. What’s your favorite beverage on a hot summer’s day? Lemonade. Especially strawberry lemonade.
11. What’s your favorite beverage on a cold winter’s day? Lavender Earl Grey tea from the Perennial Tea Room in Pike Place Market. It. Is. The best.
So there are my answers, hope you enjoyed the little detour today :). Thanks Aviena for the nomination!